Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hexies and hidden stars - a baby girl quilt

Some weeks ago, the topic of our monthly sew-in at Modern Quilt Guild Bielefeld was Modern Hexies.

I had a treasured Cotton & Steel charm pack and I wanted to make a baby girl quilt for my sister’s second child – due in April.



I auditioned different layouts and decided on the one that formes little stars on the negative space – which instantly prompted the quilting design.




I applied some marks with chalk to keep those quilting lines straight.



I defined three big and some small stars that I omitted while straight line quilting and quilted them free-hand afterwards. Each with a unique quilting design. I used a variegated Aurifil thread in shades of white, light grey and dark grey.










To show you the free motion quilting, I used directional and natural lighting instead of artificial light. The fabric I used for the Background is "Notes in silver on white" from Zen Chic's Modern Backgrounds.

 
Once the baby was born, I added her name in light pink thread.
And this is the back: I used a dotted flannel and some leftover Cotton & Steel scraps.
 
 
And this is the entire quilt, already puckered and crinkly as I had to wash it 5 times to get rid of ALL quilting marks... BTW: what is your favourite method or tool to mark grids and designs?
 


I had a hard time giving it away as I really enjoyed the free-motion quilting a lot but I am sure it will be put to good use at my sister's home.

Happy Quilting!
Christine

4 comments:

  1. Hey Christine,
    das ist ein tolles Teil geworden!! Absolut unique!
    Und von beiden Seiten klasse, Respekt!
    LG, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Christine,
    Einfach grandios! Und das Quilting in den beiden großen Sternen ist der Wahnsinn-besonders die Spirale ist toll. Und wieder einmal hast Du einen einzigartigen Quilt gemacht. Viele Grüße, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore all things hexie! I love your layout that formed the star, I admit I have not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love what you did with all the negative space! I use a Hera Marker for marking straight lines ... no need to wash out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to leave me a comment. You make my day :o)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...