Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Quilts for brothers (1)

When our friends moved away, I made quilts for their boys as a special memory to take with them, to remember us from time to time. The boys used to share one bedroom so I wanted to make similar quilts, matching in colour but not strictly in design.


I chose low volume grey and white-ish prints and accent fabrics in blue, green, dark grey and turquoise and started sewing 4 strips together. Out came my 90° ruler and I cut striped triangles from each 4-strip-set.

 
Then the fun pain of trying out different layouts began... I opted for a giant arrow, diagonal rows, chevrons and diamonds. Which one do you like best?!
 
 
Once I decided on the design (Diamonds, because it matched my choise for his brother's quilt best), I started sewing the blocks together. Trying to match those points and cursing when the bulky seams made things difficult...
 

I only quilted within the light strips with a light grey aurifil thread and tried out different fmq designs...

 
(oups, can you see how I kept myself going while struggling with the quilt...? What is you prefered beverage during fmq sessions?)
 

I tried waves...


... and leaves...


... and triple loop-de-loops...


... and feathers.

 
I added his name and used a scrappy low-volume binding, finished off with a triple-zig-zag-stitch.
 
 
And here it is... the first of the two quilts for brothers...
 

I'll be back with the second one shortly...
Happy quilting
Christine

 

 

6 comments:

  1. very nice. I liked the first picture, not repeating in the quilt, just one large arrow. can't wait to see the next one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. Maybe one day I'll find the time and energy and get back to the layout of one large arrow. I seem to have too many ideas and too little time. But I guess that's true for all of us. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Very nice quilt! Love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors, combined with low volumes. Most boy-quilts are dark or bright and saturated, this is a nice change!

    Ilse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to leave me a comment. You make my day :o)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...